Healthy activities for the whole family
We’ve all heard that families who play together, stay together, so why not encourage everyone to participate in something fun and healthy? Whether you prefer team or individual sports, here are some ideas that can help you bond and stay fit at the same time.
- Swimming – Diving in for a swim with the family is a great low impact activity that will improve your cardiovascular health. Especially if you play a game of Marco Polo! And most cities have indoor and outdoor community pools so you can swim all year.
- Rock climbing – You’ll get a full-body workout and maybe bring back some childhood memories of climbing trees and rocks. And if you’re new to the sport, most climbing centres have instructors to show you the ropes.
- Hiking – Just being outside and breathing fresh air can increase your energy levels and put you in a better mood. So dress for the season, gather the family – and the dog if you have one – and set off on a happy trail.
- Yoga – Even if you can’t get your foot behind your head, don’t be afraid of trying yoga. It increases strength, flexibility and calms the mind, so the whole family will finish feeling a little more zen.
- Play outside – Remember how much fun you had playing games when you were young? Relive your childhood and get outside to play tag, hide and seek or red rover with the family, regardless of the weather.
- Bowling – It may seem like more fun than exercise, but you can still work up quite a sweat attempting to make a strike or spare with those heavy bowling balls. And you get to wear those cool shoes, adding to the fun!